Our Mindful Parenting Workshops are facilitated by Joanne Jewell, our experienced parenting specialist who has worked with parents and children in schools and privately for the past 15 years. Her sessions are well loved in Dubai and focus on supporting parents. Joanne incorporates strategies and ideas from a variety of highly respected sources, including Attachment Parenting and the writings of other professionals such; as Alfie Kohn, Dr Dan Siegel, Janet Lansbury, Faber & Mazlish, Tina Bryson, Sarah Ockwell-Smith, Sue Gerhardt and Rebecca Eames to name a few. What these practitioners and Joanne have in common is the utmost respect for both children and parents, a desire to grow and focus on how we can be the best parent possible, not perfect but positive about our children and ourselves and their potential. Joanne’s personal mindfulness practice brings a compassionate clarity to her teaching and enables her to embed these practices into her workshops, which complement our Mindfulness programmes.
Whilst common strategies and skills run through all the workshops, each course is personalised to the aims and needs of the parents.
Workshop sessions are 2.5 hours and run for 5 weeks each – meaning that each programme includes 12 hours of sessions and plenty of opportunity to practice the skills between sessions. The Parents of Toddlers workshop is made of of 2 x 4 hour sessions. Joanne encourages parents to ask questions and spends time giving feedback to that your learning is fully supported and interactive.
These are intimate small group workshops with a maximum of 10 parents per course.
You will start the course by reflecting on your personal goals and this will be the focus of your learning, supported by a knowledgeable and highly experienced educator who will facilitate your learning. In order to benefit fully from the course, it is important to attend every week.
The workshops are suitable for all parents with children aged from 1 all the way up to 18 years of age. Whilst the key skills you learn are suitable for all ages, we do group parents together with children of a similar age to maximise the learning experience. Each workshop has a different focus:
Contact us here to sign up or ask any questions about these workshops.
Mindful Parenting of Toddlers (1 – 3 years)
- Physical, emotional and brain development in the vital early years.
- Supporting your child’s emotional growth.
- Skills and strategies to support your chosen style of parenting.
- Common issues and how to manage these with Mindful Parenting e.g. tantrums, sleeping, eating, etc
- The importance of setting boundaries and how to do this respectfully
- Learning how to reflect on your parenting in order to develop your skills as your children grow.
We are currently running the toddler workshops as one day intensive workshops called “Understanding Your Toddler”. Please join us on the 28th September or the 16th November to enjoy this helpful and enightening day with us!
Mindful Parenting of Children (4 – 10 years)
- The value of Mindful Parenting
- Social and emotional development
- The power of listening
- How to use empathy to support your child’s emotional growth
- Teaching children to co-operate
- Solving problems with your child
- Setting boundaries
- Building self-esteem and resilience
- Using effective praise
Mindful Parenting of Adolescents (11+ years)
- In addition to topics covered in ‘Toddler’, and ‘Children’ Workshops we will also cover:
- Supporting the transition from adolescent to adult
- How to identify and help your teen manage stress (academic and personal)
- Moving on to the next stage of education
- Leaving home
Mindful Parenting of Siblings
- Review of Mindful Parenting strategies & skills
- What do sibling relationships look like?
- How do we parent siblings?
- Role-modelling sibling relationships
- Connecting with siblings
- Skills for making friends
- Comparisons & Equality
- Helping kids with competitive feelings
- Birth order
- Praising siblings
- Giving siblings ‘roles’
- How to deal with fighting
- Skills for Intervention
- Skills for Peace
- Conflict resolution
- Preventing rivalry
- Welcoming a new sibling into the family
enquire about upcoming dates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org