Please note that currently scheduled workshops are all run online via zoom. Please contact us to book or for more info.
Our Mindful Parenting Workshops are facilitated by Joanne Jewell, our experienced parenting specialist who has worked with parents and children in schools and privately for the past 15 years. Her sessions are well loved in Dubai and focus on supporting parents. Joanne incorporates strategies and ideas from a variety of highly respected sources, including Attachment Parenting and the writings of other professionals such; as Alfie Kohn, Dr Dan Siegel, Janet Lansbury, Faber & Mazlish, Tina Bryson, Sarah Ockwell-Smith, Sue Gerhardt and Rebecca Eames to name a few. What these practitioners and Joanne have in common is the utmost respect for both children and parents, a desire to grow and focus on how we can be the best parent possible, not perfect but positive about our children and ourselves and their potential. Joanne’s personal mindfulness practice brings a compassionate clarity to her teaching and enables her to embed these practices into her workshops, which complement our Mindfulness programmes.
Whilst common strategies and skills run through all the workshops, each course is personalised to the aims and needs of the parents.
Workshop sessions are 2.5 hours and run for 5 weeks each – meaning that each programme includes 12 hours of sessions and plenty of opportunity to practice the skills between sessions. The Understanding Toddlers workshop is now a downloadable course that you can do in your own time. Joanne encourages parents to ask questions and spends time giving feedback to that your learning is fully supported and interactive.
You will start the course by reflecting on your personal goals and this will be the focus of your learning, supported by a knowledgeable and highly experienced educator who will facilitate your learning. In order to benefit fully from the course, it is important to attend every week.
The workshops are suitable for all parents with children aged from 1 all the way up to 18 years of age. Whilst the key skills you learn are suitable for all ages, we do group parents together with children of a similar age to maximise the learning experience. Each workshop has a different focus:
Contact us here to sign up or ask any questions about these workshops.
Understanding Toddlers (1 – 3 years)
- Physical, emotional and brain development in the vital early years.
- Supporting your child’s emotional growth.
- Skills and strategies to support your chosen style of parenting.
- Common issues and how to manage these with Mindful Parenting e.g. tantrums, sleeping, eating, etc
- The importance of setting boundaries and how to do this respectfully
- Learning how to reflect on your parenting in order to develop your skills as your children grow.
From 1 July this will be offered as a downloadable, self-paced course. Please get in touch for more details.
Mindful Parenting of Children (4 – 10 years)
- The value of Mindful Parenting
- Social and emotional development
- The power of listening
- How to use empathy to support your child’s emotional growth
- Teaching children to co-operate
- Solving problems with your child
- Setting boundaries
- Building self-esteem and resilience
- Using effective praise
- August 2020 – online workshop
- Fridays from 2pm – 4pm: 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th
Mindful Parenting of Adolescents (11+ years)
- In addition to topics covered in ‘Toddler’, and ‘Children’ Workshops we will also cover:
- Supporting the transition from adolescent to adult
- How to identify and help your teen manage stress (academic and personal)
- Moving on to the next stage of education
- Leaving home
- September 2020 – online workshop
- Saturdays from 2pm – 4pm: 5th, 12th, 19th & 26th
Mindful Parenting of Siblings
- Review of Mindful Parenting strategies & skills
- What do sibling relationships look like?
- How do we parent siblings?
- Role-modelling sibling relationships
- Connecting with siblings
- Skills for making friends
- Comparisons & Equality
- Helping kids with competitive feelings
- Birth order
- Praising siblings
- Giving siblings ‘roles’
- How to deal with fighting
- Skills for Intervention
- Skills for Peace
- Conflict resolution
- Preventing rivalry
- Welcoming a new sibling into the family
enquire about upcoming dates by emailing email@example.com
Mindfulness Practice for Parents:
Join Jo for a special 4-week introduction to Mindfulness Practice specially tailored to parents, as well as a powerful follow-up series. This is a wonderful series for new and regular parents of our workshops. For more information about this and our other Mindfulness workshops click here.
Mindfulness for Parents (part 1)
Upcoming online workshops:
- June 2020
- Saturdays from 2pm – 4pm: 6th, 13th, 20th & 27th
- July/August 2020
- Saturdays from 2pm – 4pm: July 18th, 25th & August 1st & 8th
Parenting with Presence (part 2)
- July/August 2020
- Saturdays from 10am – 12pm: July 11th, 18th, 25th & August 1st
Living as a Mindful Parent:
Hosted by Joanne Jewell
These sessions will be returning in an online format soon. Watch this space.